24/7 Emergency Service 727-431-5170Request Appointment

Do I Need a Whole House Surge Protector?

Do I Need a Whole House Surge Protector?
Do I Need a Whole House Surge Protector?

A whole-house surge protector can protect the home, and the valuable electronic appliances inside it, from surges originating from outside the home. Approximately 20 percent of power surges come from external sources, such as lightning strikes. However, the remaining 80 percent of surges come from internal sources, which a whole-house surge protector does not guard against.

Still, homeowners in areas prone to surges from external sources should consider investing in whole-house surge protection. In some cases, insurance companies will even offer rebates for whole-house surge protector installation.  Keep reading to learn more about how whole house surge protectors work.

Whole-House Surge Protection Technology
Many think that plugging appliances and electronics into a surge protector will help keep everything safe. Unfortunately, a lot of power strips are just glorified extension cords. While some surge protectors will stop working after bearing the brunt of a surge, whole-house systems are built to shunt large surges and can last for years.

Customarily, whole-house surge protectors are hard-wired to the service panel, a two hour process that will require the assistance of a licensed electrician. Effective whole-house protectors will be rated to stop a minimum surge of 40,000-amps. Additional features can alert the homeowner when the device has encountered a surge. Smaller protection units are also available to strictly protect phone and cable lines.

Although whole-house protection for a standard house with 200-amp service can cost upwards of $500, not including labor, it might save thousands in electrical equipment replacement costs if the home encounters a powerful external surge.

Added Protection
Still, whole-house protectors might not stop surges completely, and voltage can still leak through, which is why plug-in surge protectors are still recommended. Such devices serve as a buffer between individual appliances and wall outlets. These have a variety of features and options for the homeowner to protect as much or as little as they please.

Trust Mister Sparky for all Your Electrical Needs
At Mister Sparky, we combine a solid team of skilled electricians to provide quality services to homeowners everywhere. Whether you need an installation, repair or replacement, the experts at Mister Sparky are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are proud to provide an extensive list of electrical services for electrical panels, circuit breakers, outlets, switches, lighting, ceiling fans and much more. Contact us today to learn more.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedintumblrFacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedintumblr
Sign Up for Exclusive Email-Only Specials!

Fill out your email below to get exclusive deals only available to our email buddies.